The Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI) is a research institute at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and is a collaborative that combines the strengths of Duke University, North Carolina State University and UNC Chapel Hill. RENCI strives to support the scientific, technological, social, business and entrepreneurial aspirations of the Research Triangle Park and the State of North Carolina. RENCI’s work covers a breadth of intellectual activities, with the aim of enriching and empowering human potential by creating intellectual activities that span the sciences, engineering, arts, humanities and commerce. RENCI accelerates and supports research, enabling engagement with faculty, staff and students across the three universities and the state.
RENCI is seeking a talented individual for the position of a Distributed Systems Software Engineer to support the activities of the Network Research and Infrastructure Group (NRIG) in continuing to develop software solutions that enable a software ecosystem supporting NRIG projects. The group develops distributed software platforms that enable scientists to engage in data-intensive distributed collaborations. These platforms orchestrate and federate infrastructure and data
The incumbent will focus their primary efforts on developing software solutions for federally-funded research projects. They will work closely with other team members in designing and implementing new features within different frameworks, as well as evolving the core functionality to improve stability, scalability and performance.
Responsibilities: - Software development: develop software and provide software development expertise to other team members in maintaining and evolving the software platforms. - Software architecture: provide input to architectural decisions, supporting best practices in software design and integration. - Software packaging and quality control: support group efforts in helping test and package software as easy to deploy solutions for the scientific communities and implement procedures that ensure high quality of the resulting code.
Education and Experience:
- Software development and architecture: Significant experience with large projects in Java or Python a must, Rust/Go/ Perl/Ruby a plus. System programming C/C++ experience also a plus.
- Open source Java build technologies: Experience with Ant, Maven, Gradle or other build systems required.
- Continuous integration: Prior experience with version control and CI systems like Hudson, Jenkins or similar required.
- Open source libraries: Significant experience with integrating a variety of open source libraries and frameworks from e.g. Apache Foundation, Google and others required.
- Distributed systems: Experience designing and integrating with modern distributed software platforms: NoSQL databases, webservices platforms, experience with OpenStack/Mesos/ Kubernetes a big plus.
- System administration: Experience with Unix-like operating system administration at any level a plus. Experience creating Docker or Singularity containers, virtual machine images required.
- Good communications skills, ability to work in a team with diverse skills and expertise.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
About The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Carolina rates among the nation’s great institutions of higher education, set on an historic and beautiful campus that celebrates all four seasons. Carolina’s students, faculty and staff come here from around the world, bringing varied cultural, racial and ethnic heritages that help make UNC-Chapel Hill a thriving intellectual center. We’re repeatedly ranked the nation’s best value in higher educa...tion for students seeking to earn a college degree – the University has garnered the top spot each time since the ranking’s launch in 1998.Whether you’ve just started your career, are new to academia or are a seasoned professional with assorted campus experiences to draw on, we hope you will find a great place at Carolina.