Share the vision. Keep the hope. Be the change... to a more just and equitable future.
Manufacturing Employment Specialist
About GWTP and their Occupational Training Programs: Greater West Town Community Development Project (GWTP) is a community-based economic development initiative expanding employment and education opportunities for low-income residents of Chicago’s West Side community areas. GWTP’s Occupational Training and Job Placement Programs provide two sector-based training programs in Manufacturing (Woodworking & Solid Surface Fabrication) and Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics (Shipping and Receiving). GWTP’s Occupational Training and Job Placement Programs play a critical role in the lives of both our participants and their communities. GWTP strives to demonstrate highly successful strategies for meeting the employment needs for both unemployed community residents and local area manufacturers. Additionally, GWTP programs serve as a model for civic and government leaders to encourage the creation and expansion of resources and programs that effectively address the unemployment and underemployment crises in our community.
(1) Identifies and cultivates new employer relationships and strengthens existing employer relationships in order to expand the depth and range of the GWTP company portfolio
(2) Screens and matches program participants with career-oriented and sector based employment opportunities based on their skills set and work experience
(3) Supports GWTP advancement efforts by assisting in the development, writing, and submission of grant proposals
(4) Develops and disseminates marketing materials used for outreach to employers interested in hiring program participants and community residents interested in training
(5) Identifies and follows through on opportunities for employer engagement that support participant’s transition to employment
(6) Provides on-going retention services and supports to both the participant and the employer
(7) Documents participant and employer activity in Career Connect, and internal tracking systems; monitors implementation of participant’s IEP (Individual Employment Plan)
(8) Actively engages and promotes the GWTP signature training programs at sectoral and other networking events
(9) Serves as secretary on the GWTP Program Advisory Committees and member of the GWTP Alumni Committee
(10) Facilitates the GWTP career development workshop and provides participants with the tools and resources needed to conduct a successful job search
(11) Works collaboratively with program staff, instructors, and administrators to advance the GWTP mission
(12) Undertakes other duties as assigned
To Apply : Qualified candidates should submit a detailed cover letter and chronological resume, in a single combined PDF file demonstrating how you meet or exceed each minimum qualification and describing, generally, relevant special knowledge, skills and abilities. Please label your PDF file by Last Name, First Name (ex: Doe, Jane) Submit your materials via e-mail only to: WW@gwtp.edu. Please clearly indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the e-mail. Alternatively, hard copy application materials can be mailed to:
Human Resources Greater West Town Community Development Project 500 N Sacramento Blvd. Chicago, IL 60612
Minimum Qualifications : Bachelor’s Degree. Experience in workforce development and case management a plus. Candidates should possess a commitment to community service; verifiable employment required; Experience with low-income, disadvantaged populations; Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Access; competent with social media, including Facebook and Constant Contact, Excellent communication skills, Bilingual (English/Spanish) helpful.
Additional Salary Information: Salary and Benefits: This is a full time, permanent, career position. Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and education. The agency benefit package includes health, life, disability insurance; retirement plan, and bonus program.
Internal Number: 11102017
About Greater West Town Community Development Project
Greater West Town Community Development Project (GWTP) is a community-based economic development organization dedicated to expanding educational and employment opportunities in Chicago’s low-income communities. GWTP is a pro-active and effective advocate for unemployed community residents and at-risk and dropout youth in Chicago’s economically distressed neighborhoods. We provide practical, on-the-ground solutions to our communities’ complex challenges through hands-on vocational skills training, comprehensive job placement, and our West Town Academy Alternative High School that re-enrolls high-school dropouts. For over 25 years, GWTP has successfully linked expanded educational and employment service for community residents to community development initiatives and the needs of small-mid-size local employers. For more information, visit us at www.gwtp.org or www.gwtp.edu.