Under limited direction, the Senior Distributed Support Specialist provides service in the area of desktop support to university faculty and staff who use Windows and Macintosh OS based personal computers, a wide variety of personal computing applications, and networked applications and resources. Handle tickets escalated from the Service Desk and tickets that arrive directly from supported departments. Assist with supervising junior staff including directing work, assigning tickets, and monitoring and evaluating ticket resolution. Responsible for oversight and execution of large-scale projects. Collaborate with other IT groups for testing and projects as needed.
Please Note: Must have the ability to move and install equipment up to 25 lbs.
- Desktop Support: Provide users installation, configuration and troubleshooting assistance for core desktop operating systems including Microsoft Windows 7, Macintosh OS X as well as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office Suite and other desktop productivity applications. Handle tickets escalated from the Service Desk and tickets that arrive directly from supported departments. Consultations may take place via e-mail, Bomgar remote session, telephone, or in person (desk side or walk- up). Visit departments on campus to coordinate work and resolve tickets, including frequent trips across the NU campus.
- Mentoring: Assist with supervising junior staff including directing work, assigning tickets, and monitoring and evaluating ticket resolution.
- Planning: Plan, recommend and implement technology and initiatives that improve services provided to customers.
- Project Management: Responsible for oversight and execution of large-scale projects. Directs projects utilizing the IT unit's infrastructure and systems to meet specific client goals. Includes creation of project plans, testing, and on schedule implementation. Collaborate with other NUIT groups for testing and projects as needed.
- End-user Education: Creation and maintenance of effective user documentation. Responsible for coordinating and delivery of training of end-users.
- Miscellaneous: Performs other duties as assigned.
- An Associate's Degree in an analytical field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience in an appropriate information technology environment form which comparable skills can be acquired.
- 4-5 years of Desktop Support troubleshooting in a Windows and Mac OS environment.
- 2-3 years of Windows Server Administration
- 1-2 years as Senior Desktop Support acting as an escalation point for technical questions from junior staff
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience with selected computing platforms or network environments, including Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mac OS X, as well as Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- Knowledge of Active Directory with technical support experience of OU structures, AD security, local and group policies.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and quality experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, management of own time, and respect for the time of others.
- Demonstrate a take ownership attitude.
- Strong leadership qualities especially working with junior technicians.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and effective relationships with management, co-workers and customers.
- Ability to act on own initiative to further organizational and University goals.
- Demonstrated experience documenting IT related procedures & processes to improve overall team knowledge.
- Demonstrated familiarity with desktop computing and support environments and Internet utility software.
- Demonstrated familiarity with ITIL framework and concepts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science.
- Certification in IT Service Management using ITIL framework.
- Experience leading IT projects or managing a client/vendor relationship preferred.
- Experience in managing desktop support for multiple clients.
- Experience with Case, Symantec Full Disk Encryption, Microsoft WSUS, and Bomgar Remote Desktop Support preferred.
- Ability to identify and analyze client problems and come up with appropriate solutions.
- Regularly monitors customer satisfaction.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.